Thursday, January 19, 2012

Student Teaching

Started January 9th and to say I’m feeling overwhelmed and stressed is an understatement. I received my school placement in December and I was so excited to find out I would be teaching kindergarten. I’ve never been in a K class before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Let’s just say I feel right at home. HA! 23 five/six year olds is like taking care of my two boys at home. Snotty noses, lots of shoe tying and even more tattle telling.  My day starts at 5:15 am and most days I arrive home at 4pm. A + E started ASP (after school program) at their pre-k, they seem to be enjoying their time..I mean who wouldn’t love playing all afternoon with a bunch of your friends? I sure do miss them though.

My nights consist of writing lesson plans…this week I took over the calendar responsibility and next week I’ll start teaching money during the math block. Gradually, each week I’ll take over a new content area until I am teaching everything. Remind me to have a student teacher once I land a job…easy peasy.

Since I haven’t posted since the new year…HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

quick photo of the boys (from my iPhone) haven’t had much free time to take any on my ‘real’ camera.

IMG_5957

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're enjoying student teaching! Ironically, I have a student teacher this semester - the first I've ever supervised. So far, its going well.

I will say, (at least in my shoes) being on the other end of having a student teacher isn't quite so "easy peasy." Even though the gal is doing a good job and more than ready to help out and start teaching more, everything I need to do/show her takes me 2x as long right now since I have to teach/show her instead of just doing it myself. I am SO, SO far behind in what I need to do - paperwork, committee stuff, IEPs, etc b/c my time right now is consumed with guiding her and observing her as she gets her feet wet.

But, overall its been a good experience so far. I hope yours continues to be as well! Good luck!

Annie said...

Wishing you the best. Teaching is great and when we love our job everything is better.

the irelands said...

I am proud of you and ur big girl panties! haha...Jennifer