Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What a feeling!

One race under my belt and it was an amazing experience. Meg and I headed to Lake Lanier Saturday afternoon to check in our bikes and pick up our race packet which included our race numbers, timing chip, swim cap, and other goodies. Meg had some last minute issues with her bike, but thanks to the Roswell Bikes she was fixed right up. After racking our bikes and checking out the course we headed back to the hotel to eat and rest. As expected I was anxious and very excited and unfortunately couldn’t fall asleep till almost 11 pm and our alarm was set for 4am. We arrived at the Park around 6am and immediately went to set up our transition areas (the area where our bikes are racked with all the gear we would need for the day). After some last minute pep talks and some food it was time for the race to start. Our parents, Meg’s boyfriend, Craig and the boys made the hour drive out to watch us compete. Having my family there made the day even more special and after I saw the signs Craig and the boys made I was an emotional wreck. I caught myself crying a few times during the bike ride. Thinking about how long and hard I had worked and the moment had finally arrived was too much for me to handle…just glad I wore sunglasses so no-one saw me crying.

The race was a 400 yard swim, 13 mile bike and 5k Run. I did awesome on the swim, decent on the bike and I shed 6 minutes off my 5k from my personal best. Overall, I was pleased with my results and cannot wait till the next race!!! My finish time was 1:40:24.

About to rack my bike!

IMG_0002

IMG_0353

About 30 mins till race time

IMG_2841

Waiting for my wave to start

IMG_4831

Before my swim and after the race was finished

IMG_8731

IMG_5415

IMG_4434

Andrew and mommy, post race

IMG_5413

Ethan and mommy, post race

IMG_1583

Videos to come!!

3 comments:

Muddy Dump Trucks & Stilettos said...

So awesome, KK! I am so proud & inspired by you!!!!!!!! Love the signs your sweet boys made to cheer you on!

donna said...

Congratulations Katie! You are so inspiring. Way to go! My favorite part is how you prepared for this big event. You did it the right way. Your discipline and dedication is commendable!

Unknown said...

You are just one amazing Woman!!! Seriously I was telling my husband about you the other day and ticked off all you've done this year: Finished up school, student taught, started teaching, trained for a Tri and kept up as Super Mom, too!! You are one amazing woman!

And wow...6 minutes off your 5K time at the END of your Tri??? whoa!! that's awesome!!

Congrats!!!!